Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc. - Albany, GA

Chapter History

Highest Quality since 1947


Chapter History

A group of brothers residing in Albany, GA were imbued with the desire to serve the Fraternity and organize a local chapter.  The following brothers: Bennie Frank Cochrane, Wilbert Cochrane, Nekota Howell, Dr. E.D. Hamilton, Otis Watson, Alonza Jones, Melvin L. Heard, Sr., Marion Paige, E. James Grant, Howard Seay, Bro. Sloan filed the necessary paperwork with the International Office requesting a graduate chapter.  The request was approved and a chapter in Albany was chartered as Eta Omicron on April 11, 1947.

The chapter brothers continued to meet at the Six Points Restaurant. The restaurant located at the intersection of Newton Road, South Madison, and Holloway in South Albany; was owned by Brother Howard Seay.  It was the choice place to dine and fellowship among outstanding leaders in the Black community.

During the late 40s, 50s, and 60s, the brothers were concerned with the post World War II challenges, social injustices for Black citizens, and educational opportunities for Black students.  When the struggles for civil rights and social change shifted into high gear, Bro. Slater King surfaced as an outstanding citizen, leader, and community organizer in the forefront of the struggle for civil rights.  Omega men provided financial resources, leadership, counseling, and protection for the mass marchers and planners.  They were also actively engaged in the struggle for civil rights for all citizens of Albany, Dougherty County, and surrounding area.  And, the graduate chapter assisted with the chartering of the Chi Epsilon Chapter at Albany State College in 1949.

The 70s and 80s were filled with many changes and challenges.  Service to the chapter and community was the major focus during these years.  The official address for the chapter became Post Office Box 4606, Albany, GA 31706.  Other highlights included: the chapter serving as host for the 26th Georgia State Workshop; Bro. Carver served as State Marshal; Bro. Billy C. Black was named President of Albany State College; and the chapter assisted in the chartering of the Mu Beta Beta Chapter at Moultrie/Thomasville and the Alpha Gamma Gamma Chapter in Valdosta.

In the 90s and early 2000s, Eta Omicron enjoyed some of its finest moments and accomplishments.  A record number of chapter brothers were elected and appointed as state officers and directors; the chapter served as host for the 38th GA State Workshop; Bro. W. Frank Wilson was State Marshal; the chapter purchased a “Fraternity House” at 1620 W. Oakridge Drive and held its first meeting there in June 1997; the chapter maintained an active membership roster of 75 brothers; Grand Basileus Moses Norman was the Founders’ Day speaker; Eta Omicron Chapter Hymn was written by Bro. Wilson; the Annual Golf Scholarship Tournament was established; the Esquire Scholarship Program was created; and Bro. Carver was elected as the 13th GA State Representative.

Approaching the Fraternity’s centennial and in the years to follow, Eta Omicron continued to reach higher heights and achieve excellence. The chapter was selected to host the 54th GA State Workshop, with Bro. W. Frank Wilson serving as State Marshal.